Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday Dinner in March 2009

Today is Sunday--the day most people would want to rest. However, it is the day my family comes to dinner and that means a lot of work. In another post, I said all that work was worth it because my grandchildren are enticed to come and see their Nana and Papa through the temptation of good food. We also try to praise them a great deal, so they know that when they come to our house they will be in a filling and fulfilling atmosphere. Today the menu is creamed chicken, mashed potatoes, rice (for my son who does not like potatoes), cauliflower, cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles, olives, banana and apple salad, and hot rolls with fruit juice to drink. I don't usually make dessert because the sugar sends the kids over the edge. After dinner we play board games like Bingo and Harry Potter trivia.

As I said before, this dinner is an important event. Studies show that families that eat together have lower incidence rates of juvenile delinquency, children get better grades, and they tend to stay away from drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes. I also believe that they stay connected to the older generation and then the older generation is better cared for. If there is anything we can do to help our children and grandchildren stay connected and feel loved, I'm all for it, and I think family dinners are a good way to show love.

No comments:

Post a Comment